Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Cupcakes




I love cupcakes. They are my own little serving of cake. They feel like they were made especially for me. They are aesthetically pleasing to my eye. They are so cute.

I remember going to my Nana's house every weekend when I was a little girl. She always had a container of cupcakes with sprinkles sitting in her kitchen. I think this is where my obsession with all things cupcake began. I always loved when it was someone's birthday in school because I would get to eat cupcakes for lunch. I especially loved the ones baked in ice cream cones.

I had repressed my childhood obsession until a few years ago when I tasted a cupcake from Magnolia Bakery in New York City. The icing is plentiful and the cake is divine. Every time I go to New York, I try a different bakery. I've also been to the Sugar Sweet Sunshine bakery and Baked. My next venture will be to the Buttercup Bake Shop.

I recently visited Portland, Oregon with a stop off at Saint Cupcake. They have a different cupcake menu every day and they're super tasty. That's me with my cupcake at the bakery. Yes, I'm wearing a Johnny Cupcakes t-shirt (because I'm a dork, that's why).

Here in my hometown of Baltimore, we have our own cupcake store called the Baltimore Cupcake Company. The interior of the store makes you as happy as eating one of their bakery concoctions! Visit it soon!

Finally, a story of a tragedy narrowly averted. My friend Becca kindly offered to bring me a box of Magnolia Bakery Cupcakes when she visited from New York. On the way back to her house, she ran into the side of a bridge and split her leg open while trying to balance the box of cupcakes on her bike handlebars and avoiding traffic. The cupcakes were unharmed. Thanks Becca, for your heroic endeavor. The cupcakes were delicious.

Pictures of Cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery (above) and Saint Cupcake(below)



Cupcake Bakeries:
Baltimore Cupcake Company
Sugar Sweet Sunshine
Baked
Saint Cupcake
Yes, they're pricey, but they're worth it

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good GOD I'm STARVING.......

Anonymous said...

i love cupcake.
mmmmmmmmmmmm cupcake
- erika

Anonymous said...

I think I might remember once reading about the Baltimore cupcake company but I've never been there. I'm planning on doing a lot more venturing around town this summer now that my little imp can walk on her own. Strollers are a pain!