Monday, October 06, 2008

Repost: My Favorite Popcorn

I know I posted about popcorn last year, but I think with the football season in full swing, it deserves to be posted again. I am a huge fan of popcorn made on the stove. I think it has more flavor than it's air popped counterparts.

Over the last year, I have significantly decreased the amount of oil necessary to make popcorn on the stove. I now use only about 1-2 teaspoons of oil to make it (really this was just so I can justify putting butter on it instead of a little more olive oil once it was finished).

Making popcorn on the stove is also wonderful because it does not clutter up the kitchen with yet another appliance.

The recipe!

Kate's Favorite Popcorn (introduced to her by her first awesome roommate, Kel)

1-2 Tsp. olive oil or vegetable oil
1/3 cup (plus a little extra)popcorn kernels
melted and cooled butter or olive oil for topping, to taste
salt to taste
Nutritional Yeast (at least a 1/4 cup)

Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed stock pot over high heat (or medium heat if you are lucky enough to have a gas stove). Throw in 3 kernels. When they have popped, throw in the rest of the kernels. Place a lid on the stock pot and hold so that steam can escape (be careful and wear oven mitts). Shake the pot so the kernels are evenly coated with oil. Allow the popcorn to pop, shaking occasionally so the kernels don't burn.

When finished popping, pour melted butter or olive oil over popcorn. Season with salt and nutritional yeast.

I know nutritional yeast sounds strange, but trust me, it will quickly become your most favorite popcorn too. I have also started to mix the butter with just a little bit of vegetable oil so that it coats better.

No comments: