Monday, November 16, 2009

Bye Bye Apples

At the end of fall, it has become a tradition in our house to make applesauce to use up all the apples we didn't get around to eating after apple picking. My Dad gave us our very own Squeezo, so we didn't have to borrow his this year. I can't wait to use it for berry jam next spring/summer!

To make the applesauce, I added a cinnamon stick and a few tablespoons of lemon juice to a large stockpot of water. I brought the water to a simmer and added the halved apples. After about 10-15 minutes, I transferred them to the Squeezo and processed them. I don't like to add sugar to my applesauce until serving.

After the applesauce is cooled, transfer to labeled, quart-sized freezer bags and freeze.

If you like making applesauce, I highly recommend a Squeezo over a food mill. You don't have to core the apples, and they are processed in just a few seconds! There are tons available on ebay or you can travel to the Amish Market in Lancaster, PA.

Some of these will be applesauce, some will be pie!



Apples in Bowl!


Apples on stove!


Generic Squeezo!


Applesauce in Bowl!


All finished!

No comments: