Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Holiday Baking


I don't know about you, but I can't wait to start my holiday baking. It is always such fun to pick out the cookie recipes I am going to make. After a few years in a row of making iced sugar cookies, I think I am going to forgo making them again this year. They take so long to make, that I usually don't get a nice variety of cookies.

This year, I am thinking of making linzer tarts, spritz (my personal favorite), and maybe two or three others.

I feel pretty accomplished at making cakes and pies, but for some reason, my cookies have always come out a little sub par. I read this year that it may have to do with the fact that I bake with unbleached flour instead of bleached flour. This year, I'm using bleached flour for my cookies. I'm also taking all of my recipes from the lovely folks at Cook's Illustrated thanks to the baking cookbook I received for my 30th birthday. Those folks really don't mess around when it comes to cooking and baking.

Anyone have any suggestions for holiday baking?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn. This post reminded me that I'd had a good idea about holiday cookies I should bake this year the other day . . . but now I've forgotten it.

For a twist on the spritz, you could try cream cheese cookies. They're my favorite holiday cookies.

Jen said...

last year was the first year that i used parchment paper on my cookie sheets--i'll never go without!

K8teebug said...

I do love the parchment paper. Martha Stewart was totally right about that one.

Meghan said...

I recommend purchasing a SILPAT for your cookie baking.... Williams Sonoma carries several ;)


I can't wait to make cookies!
i suggest Rosemary Butter Cookies!

K8teebug said...

I have a SILPAT and it makes my cookies taste like dust. I have cleaned and cleaned it, but it still makes things taste like dust.