Thursday, November 01, 2007

Trick-or-Treat

Last night, my husband and I handed out candy to trick-or-treaters for the first time. For my husband, it really was the first time, as he had never before participated in obtaining free candy from strangers. This was because when he was little, he lived in the middle of nowhere and there wasn't a place to go trick-or-treating. It was my first time handing out candy since my parents moved to the country when I was a teenager.

Living in a townhouse in the suburbs, I thought we would have tons of people taking our candy. I forgot that in this suburb, all of the parents take the kids to the mall. The whole point of trick-or-treating is to be outside, listening to the leaves crackle under your feet, while you shine your pumpkin flashlight on the ground. That many kids in my area will never know what it's like to trick-or-treat outside is sad.

Maybe next year, there will be a rebellion.

No comments: