Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Favorite



Years ago, Smithsonian Magazine wrote an article on Andy Goldsworthy. I think I was about 15 years old. Since then, I've been a huge fan of his work. He uses leaves, twigs, icicles, and other objects he finds to create temporary works of art. Sometimes, his art is an event of sorts, with people gathering to throw dirt into the air to capture it by photograph.

Andy Goldsworthy's creations are typically simpler than the larger environmental artworks of Christo and Jeanne-Claude or Spiral Jetty.

I love the idea of temporary, environmental art. Typically, one can only see Goldsworthy's work in person if you're in the right place at the right time.

There are currently some of his latest works on display at the Yorkshire Sculpture Garden (similar to the picture above). My lucky cousin and his wife are visiting soon.

If you haven't seen his work in his many books, I suggest taking a moment to seek them out, and ponder the concept of environmental art.

You can read a more recent article about Andy Goldsworthy
here.

1 comment:

danisteg said...

I like this guy's work too! I remember seeing a photo exhibit of his work in Ithaca. I think he had taken some photos there of all the fall leaves.
The photograph you posted is beautiful.